Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Ski Adventure


I slip off the chairlift and slide to the mound. The mound is what my dad and I call a large pile of snow next to the Blue-sky basin lift at Vail. My dad and I drink a sip of water to stay hydrated before we head toward our run of choice.

I meet my dad at the trail we wanted to go down. I look off a (at the time) seemingly deadly drop that was around four to five feet down. I was going to go off my first cliff. I have been eyeing this cliff naturally made of snow for about a year, and today I was finally going to ski off of it.

There was lots of deep snow at the bottom of the drop off so I wouldn’t hurt myself if I fell. My dad tells me that he will go first to show me how to do it properly, but before that he tells me how to jump off without hurting myself. My dad flies off the cliff. It was now my turn, no turning back now.

I turn sideways, plant my poles in the deep chilling snow, and prepare my self to jump off the cliff. I push myself upward with my poles, lean, and jump off the cliff. All of a sudden I was airborne. I felt a cense weightlessness, I felt like I was flying through the air.

When I hit the ground a great feeling of accomplishment. I take a few turns down the double black diamond and stop were my dad was filming me from. When he stops filming I say “lets do it again!”



2 comments: